…is for events and encounters that educate, energize, touch the emotions, create enthusiasm.
To request an presentation or event, please use the Contact page.
These events aim to awaken biophilia (that inborn appreciation for all life forms), by presenting nature in a loving, personal way, and encouraging friendly close encounters with other life forms.
We ask questions such as: How does the web of life hold together? What roles do insects play? How do they ensure our survival? What can we do to help nature?
Coming up next
- Insects – the silent extinction. Presentation at Durban Natural Science Museum (October 2021)
- Temporary Insect Exhibition at Durban Natural Science Museum (January to December 2021)
- Insects, our life support. Presentation at LeDomaine Estate (February 2020)
Pre-2020: Events from before EASTERaction was founded, were carried out under the banner of What Insect Are You.
- Insects – our life support (Presentation at Bird Life Port Natal, Westville (October 2019)
- Meet some live insects. Interactive presentation at the Children and Youth Festival, Edgewood Campus, UKZN (April 2019)
- Are Insects Good or Bad? Presentation at The Rotary Club of Westville (July 2018)
- Why insects must live. Presentation at Palmiet Nature Reserve group’s AGM, Frank Farrer hall (June 2018)
- Are Insects Good or Bad? Educational event for grade 9, 10 and 11 school children, at the Environmental Sustainable Action and Community Development Conference (April 2018)
- Why insect must live. Presentation to Westville Conservancy AGM (March 2018)
- Springtime insect shoot. Hunting insects and practicing insect photography with Hillcrest Camera Club (October 2017)
- Biodiversity and insects. Presentation and insect hunt, grade 11 Biodiversity group, at Bonela Secondary School (October 2017)
- Half Earth Day. Celebrating the first Half Earth Day ever by talking to the grade 6 at Hundred Acres School about insects and the environment (October 2017)
- Learning nature with insects. Open weekend at Hillcrest Conservancy )14-15 October 2017)
- Outdoor classroom day. Participating in Outdoor Classroom Day with grade 10: presentation followed by an insect hunt in the school ground, Wiggins High School, Cato Manor (October 2017)
- Insects and aliens. Presentation at Westville Conservancy / WESSA meeting (October 2017)
- Biodiversity and ecology, focus on insects. Lecture at UKZN School of Education for 300-400 trainee teachers (August 2017)
- STEM Program at the American Corner. Organized by the US Consulate: a 3 days of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) outreach with CASME at the American Corner, Bessie Head Library in Pietermaritzburg (August 2017)
- Insects at work. Educational event with high school children (August 2017)
- Insects in the food web. Presentation at Hillcrest Conservancy Annual General Meeting (August 2017)
- Insects and aliens. Presentation at the Illovo Wagtail Conservation Festival (July 2017)
- Insect photography. Presentation at Hillcrest Camera Club (6 June 2017)
- Insects and the environment. Lecture to commemorate Earth Day, hosted by the University of KwaZulu-Natal Science and Technology Education cluster together with the Edgewood Environmental Forum (21 April 2017)
- Long live insects!. Educational event with primary school children from Hundred Acres School, at Paradise Valley (April 2017)
- Insects in the food web. Presentation at BirdLife KZN Forum Meeting, Howick (March 2017)
- Insects are everywhere! …or are they? Educational event for Botanical Society of SA, Durban Botanic Gardens (February 2017)
- Amazing Insects. Educational event with Durban homeschoolers (December 2016)
- Presentation at Biodiversity Forum. Introducing the book to the public (November 2016)
These events aim to open people’s eyes to the climate crisis that is unfolding around us. But instead of sewing fear and hopelessness, we share knowledge and know-how. We show how individuals can become part of the solution.
Topics that come up include: What is climate change? How does it work? Why should I care? What can I do about it?
Coming up next
- Introducing the What I can Do About Climate Change Action Programme – presented at the South African Youth Climate Change Coalition workshop (June 2022)
- Climate change – an update; What I can do about climate change. Presentation at the eThekwini Conservancies Forum meeting (November 2021)
- What I can do about climate change. Presentation at the eThekwini Conservancies Forum meeting (November 2020)
- What is climate change and what can I do? Presentation at the Durban Faith Conservancy (February 2020)
- What can I do? Presentation at Kloof Conservancy (January 2020)
- What is climate change? Presentation at Kloof Conservancy (December 2019)
- What is climate change? Presentation for student teachers and lecturers at UKZN Edgewood Campus during National Science week (August 2019)